[Coco] Path with Nitros9

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Wed Oct 20 14:13:59 EDT 2004

On Oct 20, 2004, at 11:08 AM, mmarlett at isd.net wrote:

> Charlie,
>
> Shell+ allows this path but I'm not sure that it would carry over from
> the
> startup file??? By your response, I'm guessing that it doesn't.
>
> Anyone care to explain how/why settings don't carry over. It is a
> fundamental of OS-9 and program descriptors paths, etc?????

Sure.

The path, like any other shell variable, is set for that shell's
instance.  If you look at the sequence of events in sysgo (which forks
startup and the final terminal shell), it does something like this:

1. F$Fork "shell startup"
2. F$Fork "CMDS/autoex" (which usually fails since there isn't an
autoex)
3. F$Chain "shell"

Two separate invocations of the shell are forked above.  If you put a
path= in the startup file, it will only remain for THAT invocation of
the shell and will not filter to other shells.

A potential enhancement would be to extend shell+ to read default
parameters from its own 'startup' type file.  But doesn't that feature
already exist?  The source code has a S.T.A.R.T.U.P string in it, so
that leads me to believe that *somehow* shell+ supports a startup file
of its own.

I don't have the shell+ docs at hand at the moment.  Anybody care to
track this down?

Boisy