[Coco] net glitches

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Mon Oct 11 21:47:54 EDT 2004

At 08:36 PM 10/11/2004, you wrote:
>On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:27:43 -0500
>Roger Taylor <rtaylor at bayou.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes, I was also just told that a payment could not be sent to me.  Maybe
> > they will get it going soon.
>
>Paypal posted something on their site about upgrades and not everyone can
>access
>the page. Understatement, IMHO.

I just read articles dated back to 2001 about how ebay and PayPal have had
these sorts of outages time and time again.  The integration of ebay and
PayPal has also been spread out in small steps to avoid things like this,
but we see it's not a perfect process.  I think we really don't even know a
fraction of what really is required to run global sites like these but when
we rely on them day-to-day we get upset when they're not there.

It just so happens that both ebay and PayPal have made a business out of
making us "need" them.  This type of business practice tends to have major
backfires, don't ya think?  :)  Actually, I don't need ebay, but a lot of
people are running home businesses through ebay and PayPal.  Then the
internet has a little weekend indigestion with no Rolaids in sight. (er, in
site).  :)

--
Roger Taylor