[Coco] Re: philosphical ... discussions

Robert Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 8 13:39:16 EDT 2004

--- James Dessart <james at skwirl.ca> wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, Charlie wrote:
>
> > Well if you want new stuff, and have to write it yourself, then the CoCo is
> > nothing more than nostalgia.
>
> But what else would it be? Hacker nostalgia is a big pass time. And how is
> that something that can be referred to as "nothing more than"?
>
> I'm not directing my comments at you, but at the community in general.
> There's a little too much, "Well I can't do it, so I'll wait for someone
> else to." and not enough "That sounds like fun, I'll do it."

Well said James! (Although I am seeing, I think, a small increase in people
making their own new and old work available.) It really is FUN to program this
computer, and there ARE some good basic games...

> I agree with John that BASIC games can be good...<snip>

The trick is not trying to push Basic too hard, but to make something
entertaining (or useful) with what it CAN do. A perfect example of (IMO) one of
the best Basic games ever... and Brad Grier liked it enough to include on the
Mocha page... is Dangit (from Elmer's Arcade, Hot CoCo, Jan '84). I like this
game so much that I created a database form that simulates it, and am trying to
teach myself Visual Basic by porting it to that language.

I recently learned that there was a commercial release of the game under a
different name, nor have I played it yet, but the description I read was
identical. Could have been a copy or a clone. I wonder how much "magazine"
software ended up being sold later... hmm..

cheers,
Bob Emery