[Coco] Re: Coco Digest, Vol 12, Issue 12

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Tue Oct 5 18:33:33 EDT 2004

Thanks to all for the welcomes!

I have a couple of questions I am hoping someone here may be able to
help me out with:

First off, regarding floppy drives - as noted, I have a dead original
FD-501 drive (the actual drive - which I don't have handy - I have
replaced it with a newer drive, and everything works - controller, power
supply, etc - I just want to try to fix my original black-faceplate drive).

Mr. Gault - you mentioned to Diego to use a VOM, lubricate rails, check
and set RPM, etc - how do you do all of this?

I mean, I know how to use a voltmeter, but where are the testpoints, and
what should I be seeing? Furthermore, how do I check and set the RPM of
the drive? Interestingly, the drive has a "strobe" pattern on the drive
motor flywheel - marked 50 and 60 Hz - I imagine for some special kind
of timing light or something? How do I do this? What about head
cleaning, and alignment, etc? I remember back in the day there were
"disk drive alignment floppies" and other such "kits" - do these still
exist in some manner?

Second question: I am running David Keil's CoCo 2 emulator on a P133 DOS
box (running Caldera OpenDOS currently) to play around with "Gates of
Delerium" - it isn't powerful enough to run MESS 0.61b. This emulator
doesn't have screen capture, so I have been playing around with a couple
of screen grabber TSR programs. So far, both manage to grab the screen,
but when I go to view the captures (in one, it can convert to a BMP, the
other can convert to GIF), using GQView on my Linux box - the colors are
incorrect. Both screen capture utilities display the same issue, so I
don't think it is the capture util. I figure it could be the emulator,
or the viewer - but I don't think it is the viewer because everything
else I view with it has looked fine in the past. Only these capture
images look wrong. Should I go ahead and rebuild the machine to run MESS
(not what I really want to do) in order to capture the images properly,
or is there something else I can try?

Thank you!

Andrew L. Ayers