[Coco] USB devices

Ray Watts rayanddoraleew at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 27 16:58:26 EST 2004

James,  I am going to keep this exchange on the public forum in case
there are a few Mac owners in the same boat as me.  Just to make sure we
are speaking the same language, here is the background.  I purchased
Super SCSI and the CD-ROM package from Mark about a year ago.  The
following exchange took place between myself and Boisy at that time:

RAY - "Would I have the capability to burn a CD on my Mac that would
operate on a CoCo?"
BOISY - "Yes.  That's how I did it exactly, using Toast on my PowerBook
G4 running Mac OS X.  To build the content for the CD, you actually need
to get the os9tools software at sourceforge.net.  These tools compile
for Mac/Linux/Windows and allow you to build os-9 disk images and copy
files to those images.  The image is then brought into Toast and then
burnt RAW (caps mine, rw) onto a CD.  That CD can then be run on the
CoCo" (under SuperSCSI).

I was busy and dropped the subject, however, the question arose as to
how a Mac Classic OS owner could compile and use the os9tools without a
supporting GUI or a terminal mode.  I even tried to emulate a terminal
mode with AppleScript.  It worked, but not for this purpose.  I suppose
that I might try using the Command Line Mode on my Windows 2000 Pro
emulator for os9tools, then copy the files to the Mac.

Now for the burning with Toast Lite.  I'm not sure what Boisy meant by
"burnt raw" unless he is referring simply to the data burning mode.
There is no support for any other data type.  It seems you are familiar
with the situation and that, indeed, is the case.

So, my best bet is to massage my data for the CD on my Windows emulator,
then copy it to the Mac to be burnt in the normal data mode mode of
Toast Lite.  Is this what you had in mind in your reply?

Cheers,  Griz