[Coco] How about a new FDD Controller?

Neil Morrison neilsmorr at hotpop.com
Fri Nov 5 17:27:09 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Cox" <jimcox at miba51.com>

> Besides time, money, and interest, what are the major
> obstacles to someome building a new Floppy Controller for
> the CoCo?
>
>  From what I understand, it's primarily just finding or
> making a replacement for the Western Digital chip.  If
> people are attempting to make and PFGA version of the 6X09
> and the GIME, shouldn't the Western Digital chip be
> easier?

I'd be inclined to look at the chip used for Intel PCs. If it has extra
functions, perhaps those could be utilized too. I tried, and I believe
others have also, to figure a way to use the ISA FDC/HD/serial/parallel
cards, but it seems there's no good way to map them to a Coco.

Another choice would be to use a Microchip PIC chip, which can run 20 MHz,
to emulate the controller.

NM