[Coco] How about a new FDD Controller?

Jim Cox jimcox at miba51.com
Fri Nov 5 17:05:00 EST 2004

Besides time, money, and interest, what are the major
obstacles to someome building a new Floppy Controller for
the CoCo?

 From what I understand, it's primarily just finding or
making a replacement for the Western Digital chip.  If
people are attempting to make and PFGA version of the 6X09
and the GIME, shouldn't the Western Digital chip be
easier?

Also, if someone were to build a new controller, would it
be possible to design it in such a way that 1.2M 5.25"
drives could be used to replace the older 360K 5.25"
drives?  I know there are actually differences that
prevent using the 1.2M drives with current controllers,
but could there be some "tweaks" in the firmware of the
controller to get around this?

DriveWire is nice, but it only works for NitrOS, and while
I plan to use it for that, I would also like to work with
DECB  stuff too.

Isn't someone developing a USB controller for the CoCo?
 If so, could one of those USB 3.5" floppies be used with
it?

Jim Cox