[Coco] ASCII art in mail/news clients

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Mon Mar 22 16:43:08 EST 2004

Ward Griffiths wrote:
><snip>
> Mozilla is a fine browser and an adequate email agent, but one thing I
> do not need to see in email and even less in newsgroups is graphics in
> the middle of a message.  Graphics as an attachment is fine, but if you
> think folks are too stupid to recognize smileys in text form I
> recommend you stick to places like alt.fan.n-sync and
> talk.politics.liberal.
 ><snip>

As a point of information, smileys as used by Mozilla do not put
graphics in a message. The normal text ascii :  ) is placed in the
message (can be automated) and the e-mail program displays a graphic
icon in place of the ascii graphic.

As to whether they should be in messages, all too often messages tend to
be abrasive in nature (because the vocal cues are missing) and a :)
takes the edge off.