[Coco] ASCII art in mail/news clients

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Mon Mar 22 09:19:27 EST 2004

Stephen H. Fischer wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Are there any more is an additional question? * _ / the only ones?
>
>I would like a cut and paste of any documentation found. I have not found
>any so far, and I have a huge DVD of documentation.
>
>How do you search? "+asterisk  +underline +forward slash" ???
>
>The capability must have been available in the browsers for some time but
>not used.
>
>The BOLD first showed up followed soon by the Underline .
>
>Then after several weeks delay the italics appeared.
>
>It was fun watching the BOLD gain wide use and then the Underline .
>
>The italics are still rare.
>
>I have also just realized that OE has an unique feature that I have not
>found elsewhere.
>
>If you type something like
>"News://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.hardware.tandy.coco", then OE will turn it
>into a click able link.
>
>If you paste a list the same thing happens.
>
>Then you can copy the links and paste them into another program which does
>not do the conversion.

>I have not seen the conversion to links done as easily as that anywhere
>else.
>
>The display of graphics for emoticons is probably unique to "OEQuoteFIX", an
>add on feature to OE, which does not support add on features.
>
>Them programmers is smart!
>
>Stephen H. Fischer <sfischer1 at mindspring.com>
>
>John E. Malmberg wrote:

>>Report for Mozilla 1.5 with that feature enabled.
>>
>>Same.
>>Same
>>Same
>>

>Very good for Mozilla.
>

>>A google search should find many more emoticons documented.
>>
>>Dave Kelly wrote:
>>

>OEQuoteFix has many alternate emoticons that it recognizes.
>

>>At this time, I do not know how to add these emoticons to the ones that
>>Mozilla knows.
>>

> See smart programmers above.
>

>>-John

Here is more information about Mozilla and emoticons (smileys.) For ease
of adding these to e-mail, you need to select html e-mail composition.
That is frowned on in many news groups :-( . With html format chosen,
Mozilla has an Insert/Smiley selection on the toolbar. The following
icons can be inserted: :-)  :-(  ;-)   :-P   :-D   :-[   :-\   =-O   :-*

Given the problems with trojans, viruses, and worms that hit I.E. more
strongly than any other browser/e-mail programs, there is a big
advantage to using anything other than I.E. Emoticons is hardly a reason
to switch browsers, but if that's what you want try Mozilla.