[Coco] SuperIDE

Mark Marlette mmarlett at isd.net
Mon Mar 8 23:00:07 EST 2004

All,

We this evening I finished what I think are the few loose ends on the
SuperIDE. Major testing of this product produce a few errors in a 48 hour
period. Worked until we had ZERO read/write errors. Then there was an issue
when a Compact Flash device was in the on-board slot to a IDE device on the
cable. All is well now, RTC was also tested as well.

I will be sending one of the second turn prototypes to Boisy tomorrow so
that he can test as well and verify that it will work on all CoCo platforms.

I will be taking some pictures of the prototype and posting to the Cloud-9
web site. The final board will be masked with silk screen. I'll be updating
the artwork and sending out RFQs for the PCB.

Some of the features are as follows.....

Compact Flash Adapter: This Inexpensive and blazing fast solid-state
technology can be purchased virtually anywhere and easily installed into
the SuperIDE. Supports CF slot as Master or Slave.

40 pin IDE connector: Connect widely available size IDE hard drive.
Supports Master or Slave devices.

Jumper-selectable Addressing Interface can be addressed at $FF4x - $FF7x

64K Flash: Four 16K banks can be programmed with provided utility software
from BASIC. Can be used to hold HDB-DOS, Disk BASIC, custom Disk ROM or
your favorite ROM pack game*. Both software and hardware selectable.

Real-Time Clock (Optional): Always have the correct date and time on your
CoCo.

*=Hardware switched paks not supported.

Cost is still unknown. Will know shortly but will be ~$100-110 range based
upon prior low run productions.

Regards,

Mark
Cloud-9