[Coco] [Color Computer] Building an embedded OS9 system from CoCo OS9

Paul T. Barton idezilla at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 22 11:44:08 EDT 2004

Mike,

I put a copy of REL, OS9P1(KernelP1) and
BOOT inside of the coco3 rom space where
the "gurus" used to be. It fits, lotsa room.
You need to modify the rom "DOS mover" code
so that it relocates the code (in ram)
to $2600 and then jumps to $2602. Boot
then loads your fav floppy or HD-IDE
code. I suppose you could put that in
another ROM, too and eliminate floppy
& IDE drives, just re-write the BOOT module.

That's only one way, of course.

Built around a 6883, huh? I have a tube
full of NOS 74ls785's (nine?) somewhere
in my "garage"; don't even know where
they are. Isn't life like that?

Sounds like fun,

Paul T Barton
idezilla -//- yahoo dot com

--- Mike Pepe <lamune at doki-doki.net> wrote:

> Has anyone here built an embedded system based
> on a 6809?
>
> I'm building some single board computers that
> are basically the reference
> design from the 6883 data sheet (essentially a
> CoCo, but without the display).
>
> It would be nice to run OS9 on these things,
> but I'm not sure if it's even feasable.
>
> I have OS9 and tons of CoCos... Would it make
> sense to build some sort of
> OS9 boot rom and perhaps run a system based on
> a RAM disk?
>
> Maybe there's someone in the group who can
> point me to the right resource(s)
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Mike
--snipped--