[Coco] [Color Computer] Repacking - was Re: Hello All

Robert Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 10 21:31:20 EDT 2004

--- Charlie <chazbeenhad at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Bob. I saw the pics of your COCO mods over @ the COCO3.COM forums.
> Very neat.
>
> I want to keep my COCO stock the way it is. Plus I do have an MPI,
> and big ol' burke & burke hdd controller and a full sized Seagate MFM
> hard drive! You might have looked at my setup in the pic I posted
> over @ the COCO3.COM forums.

I did in fact... very nice setup, and it would all fit nicely inside a wide
tower case... but then you'd lose that nostalic "used to take a computer THIS
BIG to do a fraction of what my cell-phone can do" quality. ;-)

I guess one thing that made it easier for me was that I had six CoCo 3's. I
sold a non-functioning one for a keyboard (and miraculously Fed-Ex "repaired"
it during the trip.) So I still have the portable 3, one mega-tower repack
(it's two feet tall by 8.5" wide) with internal MPI and two more stock 3's on
the shelf, plus one that's just parts.

I just really enjoy doing the modifications and having it turn out
factory-looking. Anyone who didn't know better would see my CC3P and believe
that floppy drive came from the factory. Maybe even the joystick, although with
the buttons I've temporarily (maybe) placed on top of the case it has a slight
Borg-looking quality now. I'm getting pretty good at cutting into the
plastic... even opened up the slots above the (ex-)transformer so I could put a
fan there.

I'm slowly formulating in my head what I want to do with my webpage to make it
more useful/relevant. Step-by-step instructions with photos is one thing I plan
to work on. Offering services and software that will complement Cloud-9's
offerings is another.

cheers,
Bob
http://www.geocities.com/theother_bob/coco_page/ccrepack.htm