[Coco] Hard Drive Problems

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jun 4 08:24:04 EDT 2004

Mark Marlette wrote:

> At 08:01 AM 6/4/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>
> Robert,
>
> DRIVE 0 is used in case a hard drive isn't found and reverts back to the
> floppy. All are drive 0. Not much room in EPROM to add these options in,
> 8 bytes? Right Boisy?
>
> The Autoexec.bas program we provide is a template. The end user can
> modify as desired. One program to fit all, not likely. ?????
>
> Said this before... We need more people to step up to the plate and
> start writing programs. Platforms and devices are present.
>
> The "Other Bob's" GUI might be what you are looking for. Sorry Bob, your
> app name slips me right now.......
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark
 ><snip>

Let me try again. If you are leaving the user with the first 4 drives as
floppies and the default drive as floppy drive #0, why not at least
check for the presence of a hard drive? If found, leave the user on hard
drivelette 4 since that is where the HDB-DOS utilities are placed.

None of this needs to be done in ROM except for testing for the presence
of the hard drive (which I'm sure is there). If a hard drive is present,
other choices can be put into an AUTOEXEC.BAS on hard drivelette 0. For
example, the autoexec can be:
10 DRIVE4:RUN"AUTOEXEC

If the user creates or fills in the AUTOEXEC on drive 4, great. If not,
it can quit doing nothing. At least the user will be where all of the
HDB-DOS utilities are located if a hard drive is present.