[Coco] RE: [Color Computer] Re: using Tandy FD drives in a PC

Mike Pepe lamune at doki-doki.net
Thu Jun 3 19:03:35 EDT 2004

The reason your drives are both being selected at the same time has to do
with a quirk of PC floppy cabling. It has nothing to do with the age or cpu
type or speed of the PC you're using.

All PC floppies are shipped from the factory set as "drive 1". (or is it 2?
I'm not sure now) The twist in the cable determines which actual drive
select line goes to the proper drive. Thus, you plug a drive into the first
connector and it's "A", the second is "B".

There are two ways to solve this:

1- use the PC cable, but set your CoCo drive to DS1 (or 2, if 1 doesn't
work) or:

2- use a straight through cable without the twist. Set your A drive to DS0
and your CoCo drive to DS1

Don't forget to remove or disable the termination on the drive that's not at
the end of the chain.

I'm pretty sure the FD-501 drive has drive select jumpers, but if it does
not, as you discovered, you can connect it as the only drive and it should
work in any PC. You may need to experiment with the twisted/non-twisted
sockets and whether the PC thinks it's drive A or drive B.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/CFFolB/TM