[Coco] PING: R.Gault - quick OS-9 question

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jul 20 08:45:47 EDT 2004

Robert Emery wrote:
> Okay, it took LSL to get me going with NitrOS9. I have successfully booted my
> real CoCo's with the latest download. I have also got it working in MESS
> (v0.83), and existing RGB-DOS VHD.
>
> So how do I:
> a.)Make drive 254 a bootable NitrOS9 disk which
> b.)recognizes the hard drive

The package on my web page contains an os9boot.dsk image. This image is
all you should need to be able to boot from any RGB-DOS .vhd drive. The
image contains on track 34 the correct boot module for talking to the
.vhd drive. There is also a tools.dsk disk which should install the
os9boot.dsk to drive 254.

The main problem will be installing OS-9 or NitrOS-9 on the .vhd disk so
that there will be something to boot to. That means you must have
NitrOS-9 and have the correct emulator driver in os9boot to talk to the
.vhd drive. You can get the needed os9boot file from the os9boot.dsk
image to create a working OS-9/NitrOS-9 system disk. You would then boot
from the "floppy" and install OS-9 on the .vhd drive. Thereafter to
start OS-9 just enter DOS254.

If the above is too confusing, send me direct e-mail and I'll walk you
through the process.