[Coco] [Color Computer] Coco 2 Schematics

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Mon Dec 13 19:14:37 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 14:39, KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:

> I think some of the responders are missing the point -- the newly hired
> intern needs a well-defined training project.  At Bell Labs we would have  summer
> students build a digital clock or do a small design on our CAD/CAM  system.
>
> Scratch-building a Coco, while a lot of work (I'm impressed that you've got
> all the parts already), is a well-defined project, with a definite test for
> success -- you plug in copies of the ROMs, and see if it works.  And you  have
> something useful out of it when done, and maybe learn a LOT by debugging  it,
> if you don't get the major ego boost of its working the first time power is
> applied.
>
> FWIW, the physical aspects of this project would give me pause, not to
> mention the keyboard and sockets, but it sounds like a fun project.  --Mike  K.

That's how I read the initial request too.

Even so if it were my choice I would come up with a project that would
be more useful to more people once I'm done with it. Why use up spare
cycles on something that won't help anyone but oneself when other
projects are just as interesting and more useful?

For example, our ReMem project at bitchin100.com for adding more memory
and onboard flash storage to a Model 100, or the USB cartridge for the
Coco that is being hashed out.

These are definitely hobby level projects, no significant market, but
once done I know folks will use them and enjoy them, which seems a
little more satisfying than wirewrapping a coco. Once you're done you've
got, well, a one of a kind wire wrapped coco.

Now putting a coco into silicon (ASIC), or parts of it (FPGA) would
produce useable results I'd think.

-- John.