[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Multi-Pak and Speed-Sound Pak

Theodore Evans (Alex) alxevans at concentric.net
Fri Dec 10 19:50:24 EST 2004

On Dec 10, 2004, at 4:35 PM, KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/10/04 4:52:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> Torsten at Dittel.info writes:
>
>> Now  I wonder if it re-arranges word order that well in German?
>> Torsten,
> you
>> tried it yet?
>
> It works quite good, but some  translations are really funny...
>

> I can imagine.  The funniest stuff I ever saw was translated from
> Japanese,
> many years ago in the humans-only era.  Since then I've studied  some
> Japanese, and like you Germans, they put the verb way at the end.  But
>  it's the long
> prepositional phrases in the middle that get funny.  --Mike  K.

German used SVO grammar, they do have their odd split verbs.  OTOH
Japanese is typically SOV.  People claim Chinese is backward to
English, but in reality it only seems that way because in English were
reverse ordering when we switch from simple to complex modifiers in our
sentences  Chinese is also SVO.  Anyway automatic translation works
reasonably well when the most basic meanings of the words are being
used and the grammatical structures used are fairly straightforward.

--
Theodore (Alex) Evans | 2B v ~2B = ?