[Coco] New game for CoCo3

Chris Spry bugster at cedarcomm.com
Sat Nov 29 03:50:00 EST 2003

You know, something like that would be a big help.  The one thing really
holding me back on this is my programming ability in an environment where
you got to squeeze tight for quickness with graphics.  Something you can't
do in BASIC at all. I'm using CBASIC for this, which is a BASIC compiler
that compiles your code to Machine Executable code with some extra features.
It speeds things up, but I still can't do some things that I would like to,
like scrolling a Hi-Res screen or music and sound effects.  I do know how to
program in C, although it has been years, but I don't have any C Compiler
for RS-DOS (was there ever one made?).  I recall one time long ago when I
was working on a game on the CoCo back in the early 90's for my Senior
Project in high school and Brian O'Neill wrote up a machine language program
for me that I could include in my BASIC game, which allowed very fast sprite
blotting and instant screens filled with sprites that are mapped for a full
screen!  It was awesome. I was making a Zelda type game and it was perfect
for that.  Since then I had lost it. I did have it for a short time after
getting back in touch with Brian a little over a year ago, but then I
reloaded my system, forgot to save it, and lost Brian's email all at the
exact same time, so I had no way to get it back. :(  It was a nice little
program that let me use those features with USR calls, using a spriting
method that I pretty much currently use with my model of MiniHog.  Something
like that with screen scrolling abilities and music/sound would be ideal,
even if it means making a whole new language compiler for it (like with
CBASIC).

-Chris