[Coco] CoCo games market survey

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Wed Nov 26 21:52:00 EST 2003

In a message dated 11/24/03 9:48:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
NickM at qm.qld.gov.au writes:

> Q1: Do you have a CoCo setup and running? If so, which models?

One Coco3, with 1 Meg of RAM and 2 20M HDs.

>  Q2: What do you mainly use your CoCo for?

Not much, but updating of UltiMusE-3 program (editing and C compiling).

>  Q3: What products would you like to see developed for your CoCo that you
>  would be prepared to purchase? (List in order of preference)

I doubt I would put any more money into my Coco, or invest much time into
improving it.  I moved on to the MM/1 and now a Linux box for creativity and
program development.

HOWEVER, I would like to soon use my old Cocos as MIDI controllers, so some
means of interfacing lots of hardware to the bus might be worth some money.
Also a means for blowing ROMs.

>  Q4: What sort of games would you like to see developed for your CoCo? (In
>  order of preference)

I think the only reasons for games on the Coco at this date are the fun of
writing them yourself, or proving that something can be done.  I had/have a LOT
of Coco games, but haven't played them in years.  I like card games and
backgammon on the PC, where the graphics are better.  I have the latest Golf Links
simulator for PC and hardly touch it )just isn't the real thing, ya know).

>  Q5: What is your favourite CoCo game of all time and why?
Several --
The King -- easy to understand, hard to master, addictive, good graphics
Klendathu -- fine to play with my son as partner
Polaris -- just plain addictive, based on a real arcade "Missile Command"
(yes, we used to "do" the arcades)
Backgammon (Radio Shack) -- pretty much learned the game on this cartridge.

I'd say the Coco is a great workbench for assembly language coding and doing
neat hardware projects.  But if you want a market for games, try the Vectrex
(6809).
--Mike K.