[Coco] Re: 6809 emulater in C#

Nathan Woods npwoods at cybercom.net
Wed Nov 19 08:14:35 EST 2003

James Ross writes:

> .NET is Microsoft's answer to Java, yet multi-language. Until recently
> I never liked Java due to the byte code interpreter; even on a fast
> box Java seems slow.  However, since I learned about JIT I am more
> willing to accept it.

Even with JITing, Java GUI apps (IMHO) tend to feel weird and slow.  A lot
of this have to do less with JITting but because of Java's normal GUI
frameworks (yes, I'm counting both Swing and AWT; I'm not sure about IBM's
SWT though).

> I think the verdict is still out if it will catch on to the point that
> all new software on the shelves are written in .NET.

Well "software on the shelves" in many ways constitutes the last stage of
the process.  I think if 80%+ of all corporate applications were written in
.NET, .NET would be considered a decisive victory.

> I've played substantially with Vb.NET. I like it. Better than Vb6 and
> VBA.  Simply because it truly an object oriented language.  I have not
> yet looked at C# yet, but I did buy a couple or three books on it.  I
> too want to learn it.

If you know Java, you pretty much know C#.  C# is pretty much Java if they
had the opportunity to remake it over again, and adding a few miscellaneous
enhancements.  The framework is also a bit better, and in my experience .NET
GUI apps don't have the same sluggish and non-native feeling that Java apps
do.