[Coco] Re: GCC: DFLOAT / DIRECT_PAGE

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sun Nov 16 09:26:00 EST 2003

What is used in Color Basic is an adoption of IEEE Standard with an added
"sub" byte to get 9 decimal digit precision. What it ends up with is 31 bits in the
mantissa. 9 decimal digit precision is standard calculator display! The RS Basic
had to do this to use a 6th term in the Taylor Series to calculate the trancendetal
functions with 9 digit precision. The sixth coefficient of the Taylor Series for the
Sine function is one over eleven factorial. That is to small a number to be
represented in standard IEEE single precision floating point.

There have been as many schemes to do floating point. The IEEE Standard did
not become a standard until the mid to late 80's. All still have basically the same
format. A sign, and exponent and a mantissa. How many bytes used to
represent them and to what precision you want is ultimately the end users
decision and the computing power available.

james