[Coco] MM1 programmes

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Nov 16 04:56:00 EST 2003

On Sunday 16 November 2003 01:06, Bob Devries wrote:
>Mike Knudsen said:
>> But on the MM/1, you could supposedly OPEN /MIDI for reading and
>> get the bytes directly.  One reason I never tried was because I
>> didn't want to
>
>play 500
>
>> monkeys with a soldering iron, trying to find which of the 7
>> remaining
>
>pinson
>
>> the DB9 connector were the MIDI inputs.  And their polarities.
>> All this
>
>while
>
>> not knowing if your SW is working, or is it your HW wiring?  I
>> just avoid situations like that.
>
>I just wrote a little BASIC programme to read the /mi port. It sorta
> worked:
>
>open #path,"/mi",READ
>while (1) do
>get #path,input
>print using "H2",input
>endwhile
>
>This produced "FEFEFEFEFE......." while the synth was idle, and
> "C001" for a program change; "C002", "C003" etc
>And "904C5F4C00" if I pressed a note. This on a Kawai FS680.
>However, after a short time, it seemed to lock up. No more input.
>
>Regards, Bob Devries; Ipswich, Queensland, Australia

That looks good Bob, I don't quickly see a reason it should lock up.
You might try checking to see if there is data before you read it,
but I don't remember that call's syntax in b09 now.  It shouldn't
come back from the get until there is data IIRC, and the FEFE....
would seem to indicate something isn't 'kosher' in the /mi driver.

Also, repeated runs will fill up the device table since there isn't a
corresponding close to clean the table out when exiting.  That will
take a reboot to fix.  Been there, done that... :)

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III at 500mhz 320M