[Coco] Re: 6809 emulater in C#

Nathan Woods npwoods at cybercom.net
Fri Nov 14 13:18:22 EST 2003

Tim S writes:

> I am thinking about trying to write an emulator for the 6809 using the
> C-Sharp languge.
>
> I need to learn C# and I think it would be nice to re-write the 6809 core
> in the MESS in C# as a first step.
>
> Since I don't really know C# not sure how hard it would be.

Unlike Java, C# supports a lot of C style constructs like pointers (provided
that your code is marked unsafe) and the like that make it much easier to
port code over.  However, the MAME/MESS 6809 core is very macro heavy and
you would essentially have to rewrite the thing.

If I were you, I would leave the CPU core in a seperate module as native C
code and write your C# code around it, invoking the core through interop.