[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Re: Way to fix dead tapes?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Nov 14 06:52:10 EST 2003

On Friday 14 November 2003 01:23, Tad Burnett wrote:
>Oh Boy...certainly the hardware capibility is there...If the
> software is powerful enough to seperate the noise from the data you
> should be able to recover just about anything...
>
>Tad

I once was caught in a "didn't have one of those junkie tabletop
recorders" situation and had to use my good hifi deck to make a tape
for someone. I recorded on only one of its 4 channels.  That person
reported the same thing I found, I could recover that tape error-free
as long as it was fed to the coco loud enough to be heard on the
hifi.

I made several more tapes by that method, and everyone of them was
absolutely bulletproof.  The biggest problem is not having a motor
control interface, so you had to be well synchronized.

Those so-called computer data recorders they sold us were basicly a
POS, often using a magnet for tape erasure, and always using a direct
current bias method instead of a 100khz power oscillator.  The
resulting signal to noise ratio was predictable, and often didn't
exceed 10db because of the horrendous hiss you get from using a dc
bias.  Record on something with a decent signal to noise ratio, and
the playbacks are simply bulletproof.

Just because it said 'computer' or 'data' on it someplace, we were
charged an extra 50 bucks for a 30 dollar recorder.

From: "Roger Taylor" <rtaylor at bayou.com>

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III at 500mhz 320M