[Coco] Re: 6309 microprocessor project: 11-05-2003

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Thu Nov 6 23:30:13 EST 2003

At 11:08 AM 11/6/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Steeman, Fedor writes:
>>Thanks, Nathan! I had not discovered this feature yet...
>>However, all these utilities are still DOS command line based (including
>>RETRIEVE, which I think you are confusing with PORT).
>
>Yes you are correct.
>>It would be neat to be able to drag and drop files / images in W2000/XP
>>instead of needing the (disappearing) access to MS-DOS.
>
>I agree 100%.  I've actually been considering the possibility of a
>graphical front end to Imgtool for a long time and Imgtool was explicitly
>architected to support such an endeavor.  The big problem is that I have
>so much on my plate now the way it is already that I've been unable to
>commit to it... so all I've been able to do is hope that someone takes a
>look at the Imgtool source and steps up to bat.

I'm using imgtool.exe from within Portal-9, but no graphical representation
is needed.  That's for manual jobs.  A project build process puts your
assembled or raw files onto a new .dsk automatically.  The readout window
shows you what imgtool.exe is printing to it's stdout, which is normally
just "putting file 'filename.ext'...".

I still think the ultimate front-end for M.E.S.S. would be a complete
graphical interface that shows you everything, the CoCo monitor, the CoCo
itself, the MPI, drives, joysticks, mouse, printer, or whatever you move
around to connect to other parts of the system.  Mess.exe and imgtool.exe
are command line tools (although M.E.S.S. goes on to create another Window
for the video), so doing all of this as processes in the background is the
idea.  All of the command options are there, so it's just a matter of
creating the interface and graphics.  One problem I am trying to figure out
is the MS-DOS/console window that pops up before the M.E.S.S. video window
does, and remains open until you close it or the M.E.S.S. video window.  It
basically shows you some warnings and such.  I tried piping it's stdout
into my app, but then the M.E.S.S. video window didn't show up.

My other idea, the ultimate CoCo developer's IDE is coming to life right
now, even though I was told last year by someone on the Princeton list that
nobody would ever use it nor a graphical front-end for M.E.S.S.  I beg to
differ.  :)  I know exactly what a CoCo emulator user wants; but in order
to prove it, I have to show them.  Thankfully, the M.E.S.S. emulator has
advanced enough that I couldn't touch it or come close to cloning it, nor
would I care to.  Being able to interface with it is nice enough, and that
I will do.

The M.E.S.S. emulator itself visually is just a flat surface the size of a
CoCo's screen.  Knowing this, you can build the other visuals around that
and form a complete totally realistic CoCo system on your screen, 1024x768
preffered.  With my skill in graphics and in the DBPro DirectX/3-D-rich
language, I can create this environment.

Why not just use a real CoCo?  By all means, still use your CoCo(s).  But
those who don't have that priveledge anymore could feel right at home
seeing what they're familiar with.... minus any desk clutter or Dr. Pepper
cans. :)