[Coco] Re: 6309 microprocessor project: 11-05-2003

Nathan Woods npwoods at cybercom.net
Thu Nov 6 11:10:01 EST 2003

Steeman, Fedor writes:

> Thanks, Nathan! I had not discovered this feature yet...
>
> However, all these utilities are still DOS command line based (including
> RETRIEVE, which I think you are confusing with PORT).

Yes you are correct.

> It would be neat to be able to drag and drop files / images in W2000/XP
> instead of needing the (disappearing) access to MS-DOS.

I agree 100%.  I've actually been considering the possibility of a graphical
front end to Imgtool for a long time and Imgtool was explicitly architected
to support such an endeavor.  The big problem is that I have so much on my
plate now the way it is already that I've been unable to commit to it... so
all I've been able to do is hope that someone takes a look at the Imgtool
source and steps up to bat.

> And besides, who needs a 5,25" drive when you can connect a 3,5" drive to
> your CoCo?

Well I have a very unsatisfying answer - me.

Part of what prompted me to join the MESS project was that my CoCo is barely
alive and also packed away and all I really have are my old floppies, which
are all 5.25".  I'd could probably add direct 3.5" drive support without the
problems that stopped me from supporting 5.25" drives, but I'd lack media to
test it on.