[Coco] Re: 6309 microprocessor project: 11-05-2003

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Nov 6 13:54:01 EST 2003

On Thursday 06 November 2003 13:37, John W. Linville wrote:
>Nathan Woods wrote:
>> As for an equivalent of DSKINI.EXE, there is not much chance at
>> all of avoiding MS-DOS given how Windows does not like 5 1/4"
>> drives.
>
>We should not neglect the use of Linux (especially with MESS).  The
>fdparm utility can setup the floppy drives for a number of physical
>formats, after which the "dd" command is quite capable of
>reading/writing images from/to the drives.
>
>Just a thought...
>
>John
>--
>John W. Linville
>linville at tuxdriver.com

I've got a mobo, a biostar M7VIB, whose fdc chip cannot do the 5.25"
formats other than 1.2 megs.  Boisey and I spent the better part of 2
weeks trying to make it work because I have a bunch of stuff on my
coco hard drive that really should be archived someplace.  I was
never able to get a 5.25" drive to work here, and was never able to
make a 3.5" work on the coco because the decoders in the drive
insisted on being clocked at 500khz, and refused to work at 250khz.
I have a usb serial convertor but the software handshaking on one end
or the other is kaput and the speeds obtained are less than 10cps
average.  zmodem makes a good transfer, but takes hours to do a 50k
file.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III at 500mhz 320M