[Coco] Re: Vectrex

Nathan Woods npwoods at cybercom.net
Wed Nov 5 08:34:00 EST 2003

KnudsenMJ at aol.com writes:

> [snip]
> I'm really impressed that MESS does the vector graphics.  That means
> they're simulating *analog* circuits and X-Y-Z driven CRTs.  Remains to
> be seen whether MESS is doing a literal emulation of the analog circuits,
> or just digitally emulating the *effects* of them.  What the heck, maybe
> I'll finally DL a version of MESS and see how it works, though I've been
> waiting for the bugs and misfeatures to settle out.
> --Mike K.

I do not know much about the Vectrex personally, but judging on the source
code, it is just simulating the analog circuitry based on the output of the
6522 VIA chip.  After that, it gets passed on to MAME's vector engine.

While I've never seen this personally, I know that some people have added
support for vector video cards to some versions of MAME.  Thus, it should be
possible for MESS to inherit that functionality.

You can see the MESS Vectrex video hardware source code at the following