[Coco] Re: ISP for OS-9!

David Hazelton davehazelton at access-4-free.com
Sat Nov 15 12:24:00 EST 2003

Allen Huffman wrote:
> HawkSoft made a socket library from KA9Q - ask on the list. Someone is
> bound to have seen it.
>
> Maybe we can write RadiSys in Oregon - need to know when ISP was
> discontinued. I'll check.
>
> Marks enet is hw, talks via serial port like a Hayes modem - would work
> on a VIC-20.
>
> There is C tcp/ip stuff, could be ported to MM1/306 (too big for CoCo) I
> bet.
>
> What are you wanting to do?
>
>     -- Allen
>
> {composed and uploaded via my Palm PDA cell phone. Please excuse  the
> typose}

Think out loud what I want to do.
The AT306, besides the Coco is the only computer I own that is not on my
network.  Since my Computer room is actually in the cellar, I normally
telnet and/or VNC from the warmth and comfort of my wife's PC.  I would
like to be able to at least telnet to it.  I could use one of my COM
ports on the Linux box as a gateway to get a login, Sort of like what
Mark is doing with the SuperBoard. But to FTP in this method, I would
have to run KA9Q remotely then FTP.  or it would be easier to just to
RZSZ data over.  Just goto look into how to assign an IP to a TTY in linux.

Anyways, I do not do anything on the AT306 partly because it is not on
the network.  Apache was already ported, I believe with ISP from Allan
R. Batteiger from RTSI.  VNC would be nice, but true Telnet, FTP and/or
a e-mail package like Pine or something like Kmail for MGR.  Maybe a NFS
daemon and/or client ported from Linux.  On RTSI, there is a SMB client
(SAMBA), (which at my last job would crash the VME boxes).  That way I
could map my SAMBA shares off the Linux box and easily move files
between Linux, Windows, MACOS9.22 (netalk).  I could print to my network
printers, either through SAMBA or CUPS directly.  I don't know what I am
capable of doing, but I know that my MM1/306 is just wasting space.

I was thinking if the MM1/306 was networkable through a ethernet card
with software that their might be an easy way to add a board to the
original MM1, sounds like a hardware project for someone, that the
software would still work.

Some of theses  things might be possible through the Hawksoft Libraries,
using SLIP/PPP direct connection to a Linux Com Port @ 115200.  That
maybe my only option, but unless the the Libraries are ISP compatible
everything has to be recompiled and we would have 2 versions of
everything.  I do not know if ISP stuff had to be recompiled for
Softstax (SPF)or if Softstax had ISP compatibility.  If I take some
other Library, then compatibility is a known problem.

I babbled enough, Talk to you later.

~David Hazelton

CC to lists