[Coco] Any reason to put a 6309 in a Coco2?

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Tue Dec 30 17:30:52 EST 2003

On 30 Dec 2003 at 10:37, Alex wrote:

> On Dec 30, 2003, at 6:39 AM, John Guin wrote:
>
> > So can anyone think of a reason to install it in a Coco2?
>
> In a Co
> Co2 you can still put it in the high speed mode and see some benefit
> there, though you will undoubtedly run into compatibility problems.
> You can always write your own stuff to take advantage of its extra
> features.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
In a Coco 1,2,3 if you have a MC6809E or a HD6309E you will see little
difference in performance between the two devices if you are operating the Hitachi
part as a Motorola equivalent.

Why? Internally they are different chips. The Hitachi part does have extra registers
and extra instructions. It also executes some of the identical instructions faster, it
also executes a few slower. So there will be a net difference but that will be
dependant on what the software does. On an average you may see a 5%
improvement at best for Hitiachi part over the Motorola part with both operating at
the same clock speed. Personally a 5% improvement is negligable irregardless of
clock speed.

Where the performnce difference really improves is if the software is written to take
advantages of the registers and instructions the Hitachi part offers. Anytime you can
take advantage of register movements internal to the processor then you get a big
speed improvement. The 16 bit multiply and internal divide instructions speed
things up if you are doing a lot of math and number crunching.

The real advantages of the Hitachi part is when it comes to number crunching as
that the new math instructions reduce code space. It is a considrable savings in
code space to load two registers with data and issue a relative instruction to divide
and wait about 30 machine cycles and there is you answer. On the 6809 you have
to move data in and out of the processor several times to do a divide. Slightly
longer in machine cycles and way more in code space.

just some of my thoughts on the subject

james