[Coco] Any reason to put a 6309 in a Coco2?

Theodore Evans (Alex) alxevans at concentric.net
Tue Dec 30 15:37:29 EST 2003

On Dec 30, 2003, at 6:39 AM, John Guin wrote:

> So can anyone think of a reason to install it in a Coco2?

In a Co
Co2 you can still put it in the high speed mode and see some benefit
there, though you will undoubtedly run into compatibility problems.
You can always write your own stuff to take advantage of its extra
features.

> And a related question:  was the Coco3 100% Coco2 compatible?  Was
> there
> anything (at all) a Coco 1 or 2 could do which a Coco3 could not?  It
> seems
> to me if the answer to this question is no, there is nothing a Coco2
> can do
> which a Coco3 can not, then there is no reason to install the chip in a
> Coco2.

A CoCo3 is not 100% CoCo2 compatible.  The main incompatibility is that
most of the semigraphics modes supported by the CoCo1/2 are not
supported by the CoCo3.