[Coco] Emulators -- MESS/Vavasour/Stroffolino?

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Wed Dec 24 09:10:47 EST 2003

Frank Swygert wrote:

> I'm familiar with Jeff Vavasour's emulator, think I still have a copy
> here. Other than support for other systems as well, does the MESS
> emulator do anything different/better? What about Phil Stroffolino's
> Virtual CoCo?? Okay, looking in another window I do see that the Virtual
> CoCo runs on a Mac, so that answers one question.

MESS is an almost perfect emulation of all Coco properties particularly
graphics. Jeff's emulator runs faster because shortcuts were taken that
attempt to optimize the program at the expense of precise emulation.

There are more MESS variants than you can shake a stick at. Whatever
your computer brand, there probably is a version of MESS that will run
on it.