[Coco] Re: Louisiana

Richard E. Crislip rcrislip at neo.rr.com
Tue Dec 23 12:46:01 EST 2003

Hello Roger

On 12/23/03, Roger Taylor wrote:
> At 09:34 PM 12/22/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>> Actually the Outback Steakhouse has noting whatsoever to do with
>> Australia except as a theme. Even the company itself says it has "a
>> casual atmosphere suggestive of the Australian Outback". See
>> http://www.aussieinamerica.com/food/outback.htm for a real Aussie's
>> view of it. Amongst his comments: "Aussies, you have been warned.
>> The Outback Steakhouse is in the business of selling American food to
>> Americans, and not Australian food to homesick Aussies.  To complain
>> that it doesn't offer authentic Australian food is to miss the point,
>> akin to complaining that the Rainforest Cafe is nothing like a jaunt
>> through the Amazon."
>
> This is exactly what I suspected.  Hardly anything is real anymore.
> We're quite used to not getting what the ads say.  :)
>

>> I've never heard their commercials but I suspect they're enough to
>> make a wallaby laugh, unless of course they hire real Aussies - and
>> let then write the stuff. BTW, FWIW, no Aussie would say, "Throw
>> another shrimp on the barbie". The term there is prawn, not shrimp.
>
> The ad spokesman is clearly an Australian. Reminds me of movie subtitles
> meant to help us understand what a foreigner is saying.
>
> Oh... and what about the old Crocodile Dundee movies?  We loved those
> movies but the image was probably all wrong.  I dunno.

Heh.. yeah, I talked to Nick about the Outback during Pennfest 2000 and he
confirmed my suspicions then that the Outback was what you very accuratly
described it to be. Not very Aussie authentic at all. But then, after my
trip to China I've concluded that most Chinese restaraunts weren't either
8=). I suspect that the same would also hold true for Mexican restaurants
as well. 8-))) Especially the one I saw on a back street in Bejing!
Regards
--
Cruisen                                                         _|_
              on AutoPilot with an Amiga   ---o-( )-o---   and a CoCo

                                             Richard