[Coco] Talk Funny

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Tue Dec 23 08:45:13 EST 2003

Unfortunately everything from California seems to migrate over... things
like road rage and stupid emissions laws. I'm not sure the SUV craze
didn't start there with stars trying to outdo each other too. Why on
earth does it matter what you have under a hood if the engine passes the
tailpipe emissions test? Everyone can't build/modify cars to work right,
but some of us know what to change/mess with and what is best left
alone. I had an emissions testing guru tell me it had to do with the
amount of testing -- the short test is just a sample, the manufacturers
go through a much longer test to certify a vehicle and install the
equipment. Sounds like job security to me.

Everyone isn't so friendly in the South. Most southern cities are
definitely more friendly than places like NYC (been there, done that,
nice to visit and know what it's like, but wouldn't stay for any length
of time -- but then I'm a country boy so don't take any offense), but we
have a**holes and morons down here too. Some of the roughest looking
"red necks" are more likely to stop and help you on the side of the road
, with the most beat vehicles. They've been there and know what it's
like to need a little assistance. The middle class and execs wouldn't
stop to give you the time of day. Traffic isn't much better in places
like downtown New Orleans and most anywhere around Atlanta -- they don't
call it the "I-285 Raceway" for nothing!

The real traffic problem on the US interstates is simply that we don't
know how to drive (yep, I'm guilty on occasion too!). In Germany the
Autobahn works so well with unlimited speeds (only in rural areas)
because people are more serious about driving. No one drives in the left
lane unless they are genuinely going around someone. Even a 100 mph
driver won't drive in the left lane unless there is a car ahead or maybe
a hill they can't see over (you don't want to run up on a 35 mph truck
doing 100!). Over here morons think they should drive in the "fast lane"
(it's a PASSING lane, NOT a "fast lane"!!!) if they are doing the speed
limit regardless of who (if anyone) is in the right lane. And don't get
me started about the lack of turn signals in Mississippi! And cutting in
when there's a space 2' longer than your car (longer than the car
cutting in)...
--
Frank Swygert -- Gulfport, MS
Publisher, "American Independent Magazine" (AIM)