[Coco] talk funny

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Sun Dec 21 07:22:34 EST 2003

At 11:38 PM 12/20/2003 -0800, you wrote:
|It's funny, up (down) here in the Pacific Northwest, I can tell a
Californian by their accent.  When talking about a freeway, they always
|put "the" in front of it.  For instance, "the I-5" or "the 405"  To me,
they are the ones who talk funny, plus they can't understand why us
|"locals" insist on dipping our fries in tartar sause.  As for people South
of the Mason-Dixon line, "you all talk so slow" :)

Actually, only a small percentage of southerners talk real slow.  They just
stand out so bad.  You're tempted to relate it with their speed of
thinking, and in *some* cases, it's the same; but when you see that they're
a millionaire or own the biggest mansion within 10 miles, you have to train
yourself to think differently.  I have a brother-in-law who talks so slow
and country-like that I can predict his sentences and thoughts long before
he's through.  I cannot have conversations with him.  It drives me up the
wall.  He even looks like a silly hick, and he will never be a millionaire
or even become anything.  :)  I hope lightning don't strike me.

At the same time, people up North tend to say "eh?" and "bada-bing" all the
time.  Well, at least they do in the funny commercials down here where you
have a Northern guy talking with a Southern guy.  hehehehe.  Hilarious.

And you're right about Californians... their speech gives them away every
time.  I can also spot an Illinois female anywhere, anytime.  Don't ask.  I
just can.  And Texans... the men have a certain tone in their voice that is
unique to Texans.  Gives'em away every time.

Oh, and the men in southern Memphis, TN look strikingly the same.  It's
something about the cut of their hair lines and their upper mouth
area.  No, I don't study this stuff.  Sometimes it's just very noticeable
or else we wouldn't be having this discussion.

We notice stuff like this because people tend to stay in their cities and
towns and that is how the gene pool works, I guess.  ??

quickly-spoken end-of-commercial disclaimer:
"thei20lifeisgoodlovethyrecedinghairlineneighborsallrebatesgotoillinoisdealersbadabingbadaboomhidago"
:)

Roger Taylor