[Coco] Embedded CoCo

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Tue Dec 23 08:27:09 EST 2003

I'd think that a kit with a board and any hard to find/special circuits
and software would be sufficient, though a complete parts kit would be
nice. If the thing can function as an expansion card for the CoCo (I/O
controller) and/or a stand-alone controller that would be great! Maybe a
circuit or two or just the ROM would need to be changed? Even if it can
only be built one way and not dual purpose would be fine. Development
work could be tested on a CoCo then simply ROMed and plugged into the
board. Or if it plugs into a CoCo anyway, why not a flash ROM so no
actual burning is necessary?

This would be great for my glass dash idea. Since small composite LCD
monitors are reasonably priced now, I'd like to replace the instrument
cluster of a car with one. Program it for a normal and performance
display, switch between the two with a hot key. Could even have a trip
computer with a couple hot keys. Of course no keyboard, just a small
keypad or 3-6 momentary switches. I thought about doing that with a CoCo
a long time ago -- the joystick inputs could be used for most things, I
think it could be wired to a variable resistance and read that. If not,
there was the unused keyboard PIA inputs and the cartridge slot. Typical
old style gas sending units (Ford & AMC) use 5V and read 10 ohms high,
73 ohms low (temp, oil pressure, fuel level). Speedometer would be easy
with a magnetic read switch (pulses). Pulses for the tachometer would be
harder -- reading the coil firing might require some type of isolation
circuitry. Program could take care of # of cylinder selection. Could
always disassemble an old electronic tach to find out.

Main reasons I never did this was that big enough graphic LCD displays
(not laptop size, 5"x7" would be sufficient, 4"x6" a little small but
probably usable) were expensive 6-8 years ago, and the CoCo board itself
was just to big to mount conveniently. I knew enough tricks on the CoCo
once to pull this off, but didn't want ot put the time and effort to
learn with a STAMP controller, plus I don't recall it having enough
inputs. Then there was the LCD panel issue...

Have more money for an LCD now, plus cost is within reason without
having to build a complete controller, but CoCo board placement would
still be a big issue. Not with an embedded type though. Of course I've
forgotten most of the programming for the CoCo now...
--
Frank Swygert -- Gulfport, MS
Publisher, "American Independent Magazine" (AIM)