[Coco] Re: M.E.S.S. Printing

David dbree at duo-county.com
Sat Dec 20 18:05:59 EST 2003

On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 04:28:12PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 20 December 2003 15:17, David wrote:
> >On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 01:08:42PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> On Saturday 20 December 2003 08:16, John E. Malmberg wrote:
> >>
> >Would yours be completely stand-alone?  I mean, not using shared
> >libraries?  My esp-gs is only about 6 Meg.  It's simply an install
> > from the current package:
>
> 2 things, 1. wrong version, it should contain the string ESP as part
> of the version, so I assume thats the pd gnu version you have.  To
> get the real version use --help, like this:
>
> [root at coyote root]# gs --help
> ESP Ghostscript 7.07.1 (2003-07-12)
> Copyright 2003 artofcode LLC and Easy Software Products, all rights
> reserved.

dlb at localhost:~$ gs --help
ESP Ghostscript 7.07.1 (2003-07-12)
Copyright 2003 artofcode LLC and Easy Software Products, all rights
reserved.
Usage: gs [switches] [file1.ps file2.ps ...]
Most frequently used switches: (you can use # in place of =)
 -dNOPAUSE           no pause after page   | -q       `quiet', fewer
messages
resolution

> That of course is followed by it available output formats and thats
> another 3 or 4 kilobytes so I won't overload the list with it.

Yeah, I cut mine down, too  :)

> Also if you installed from rpms, did you also have to do foomatic?  I
> sent it an eviction notice a month ago, lots less trouble keeping it
> working with cups that way.

I don't seem to have any foomatic packages installed.  Have an HP
DeskJet printer - use hpijs driver.  I wound up compiling the hpijs code
(trying to get it fine-tuned) and IIRC, I have something from foomatic
there.  I've not had a lot of trouble keeping CUPS working - a few
periodic disruptions, but at the moment, at least, it seems to be doing
alright - however it's set up.

> 2. I built mine from scratch, so there may be more options turned on
> than normal.

I've been trying to stick with the packaging system as much as possible.
I have a couple of self-compiled stuff, but not a lot.