[Coco] Re: M.E.S.S. Printing

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Dec 20 16:28:12 EST 2003

On Saturday 20 December 2003 15:17, David wrote:
>On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 01:08:42PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Saturday 20 December 2003 08:16, John E. Malmberg wrote:
>>
>> Scaling those times back to the coco's speed has pretty much
>> deflated any interest I may have had in atempting a ghostscript
>> compile on the coco.  The current ESP-GS v7.07 home built binary
>> installed on this machine is a bit over 21 megs.  But, I haven't
>> stripped the device list down to just my printers either.  That
>> would probably cut it in half as the default list is extensive
>> indeed.
>>
>> [root at coyote root]# ls -l `which gs`
>> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root     21732403 Nov 17 23:11
>> /usr/local/bin/gs
>>
>> which pretty well reduces any interest I might have started out
>> with to the vanishing point.
>
>Would yours be completely stand-alone?  I mean, not using shared
>libraries?  My esp-gs is only about 6 Meg.  It's simply an install
> from the current package:
>
>dlb at localhost:~/tmp$ ll /usr/bin/gs-esp
>-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      6343768 2003-10-27 14:47
>/usr/bin/gs-esp*
>
>dlb at localhost:~/tmp$ gs --version
>7.07.1

2 things, 1. wrong version, it should contain the string ESP as part
of the version, so I assume thats the pd gnu version you have.  To
get the real version use --help, like this:

[root at coyote root]# gs --help
ESP Ghostscript 7.07.1 (2003-07-12)
Copyright 2003 artofcode LLC and Easy Software Products, all rights
reserved.
Usage: gs [switches] [file1.ps file2.ps ...]
Most frequently used switches: (you can use # in place of =)
 -dNOPAUSE           no pause after page   | -q       `quiet', fewer
messages
resolution
 -sDEVICE=<devname>  select device         | -dBATCH  exit after last
file
 -sOutputFile=<file> select output file: - for stdout, |command for
pipe,
                                         embed %d or %ld for page #
Input formats: PostScript PostScriptLevel1 PostScriptLevel2 PDF

That of course is followed by it available output formats and thats
another 3 or 4 kilobytes so I won't overload the list with it.

Also if you installed from rpms, did you also have to do foomatic?  I
sent it an eviction notice a month ago, lots less trouble keeping it
working with cups that way.

2. I built mine from scratch, so there may be more options turned on
than normal.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III at 500mhz 320M