[Coco] Sock Master Demos

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sat Dec 20 09:59:22 EST 2003

arikboke at yahoo.com wrote:
> Robert,
>
> For the past weeks, GLOOM1 and GLOOM2 would not work either, but recently, when
> I used IMGTOOL to place the files on a virtual .DSK again, they worked!  And
> now the downer -- I just tried repeating that procedure, but the .BIN files
> this time around won't execute.  It's crazy, this inconsistency.  Perhaps it
> is, as someone said, an issue with the MESS program (and XP).  For these
> programs, I've tried to sidestep that whole issue about BASIC file formats and
> worked strictly with .BIN files downloaded from Sock's page exactly the same
> way.
>
> Sincerely,
> David
>

> --- Robert Gault <robert.gault at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
>>Just ran HICOLOR with MESS 0.77 on a Win98SE machine with essentially
>>your specs. Works fine for me.
>>
>>Keep in mind that HICOLOR is limited to 320x200 256color .bmp images and
>>don't try larger ones. Be sure to get the images onto a "Coco" disk as
>>pure .bin files. Don't let a transfer utility corrupt them into another
>>format.

I just downloaded GLOOM2 from Sock's site and ran it under MESS with no
problems. I used PORT.EXE to place the file on a .dsk image.

I'd bet your problems are all based on transfer of files to .dsk images.
If you want to investigate this, send me a zipped .dsk image that you
think should work but doesn't. I'll see if the files are on the .dsk in
the correct formats.