[Coco] os9 copy is not reporting an error

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Dec 14 22:47:43 EST 2003

On Sunday 14 December 2003 21:16, Robert Gault wrote:

>Merge the hard drive driver/descriptor into a single file. Load the
>file, iniz /h0, and you should be able to read/write to the hard
> drive. Once that works, just use dEd or attr as needed to correct
> the problem file on the hard drive.

All that copying got done, except for a couple of defsfiles that
wouldn't fit on the disk.

Now, theoreticly the bootfile is exactly the same as the one on
virtual disk 128 that it was booting from, with these exceptions:

kernelp3_perr has been added
kernelp4_regdump has been added
both in sequence after kernelp2

The Sacia module has been replaced with the one from my previous
nitros9 boot from 2 or 3 years ago, its about $50 bytes longer and
according to the edition number, considerably newer.  It did work,
flawlessly before, for several years.  I changed it because the
existing one seems to want to hang if an rzsz transfer is attempted.

The t3 descriptor should be patched with xmode to carry the right opts
for this sacia, and has been renamed as T2 internally.  Mmm, I
haven't verified that however. :(

the /DD in the init module has been reset to /D0 and the module
reverified.

The /DD's in sysgo have been similarly edited and the module
reverified.

The internal name in the DD descriptor has been changed to H0, and the
module reverified.

It boots to the point of spitting out all the names in the bootfile
plus 2-3 or maybe 4 more characters, and crashes.  The extra chars
are there for only milliseconds, not long enough for them to
register, I just know they are there.  The crash of course takes the
screen away into a checkerboard pattern, which may, or may not change
several times over the next 30 seconds while I'm sitting there
scratching at my thinning grey hair.

I'll try the other method of booting from the new release and then
tomorrow though.  I have the charcoal burner in the pickup already,
muzzleloader season starts tomoorow.

Oh, and this may have something to do with it too, the hd power plug
has been pulled so as not to beat on it so much with all those
powerdowns this has involved.  Would that cause a crash as it tries
to init /h0?  I can check that yet tonight, brb.  Nope, no diff that
I can see.  Still crashes at the same point.
--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III at 500mhz 320M