[Coco] os9 copy is not reporting an error

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Dec 14 21:54:20 EST 2003

On Sunday 14 December 2003 21:16, Robert Gault wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:

>>>Well, one work around I can think of is to plug the hole early in
>>>the disk with a temporary file.
>>>
>>>Now on to the source of the problem. When you adjust the SAS field
>>>to $90, what does that mean? I don't have my documentation here so
>>>I need some insight.
>>
>> Setting "sas" to $90, means that any "creatafile" operations
>> should get a minimum allocation of $90 sectors (segments in the
>> case of one sector per cluster floppies anyway) in the *first*
>> request for disk space.  I did some more math, and there actually
>> wasn't room beyond the "hole" so I now have that disk being dsaved
>> to an 80 tracker, with an added last line in the script that made
>> to get the os9boot too.  When thats done, then I'll clean that
>> disk out, and use the same script to copy everything back to a
>> disk that except for the root dir and track 34, is effectively
>> empty, but with the copy of os9boot being the last copy done.
>> Then I can fix LSN0, and it should boot.  The whole idea is to
>> replace the os9boot file with the one from my HD install, but with
>> DD renamed H0 so it can't find the *&^5 startup file when sysgo
>> looks for it.
>>
>> Thats the plan anyway. :-)  If that boot works, then I should be
>> able to get back into the hard drive and fix the attribs on the
>> file thats stopping the bootup from it now.  If that works, then I
>> can go back to the automatic boot from virtual disk 128 on the HD.
>>
>> Ya know, this can sometimes drive a man to drink...
>>
>> Like why cannot I make "dsave /d0 /d1 ! shell" work?  It outputs
>> the tmode commands, cd's to the source, and simply exits with an
>> eof message, all in about 2 seconds, no copying is done.  But
>> "dsave /d0
>>
>>>/d1/makecopy" works just fine to make the script, and the script
>>> is
>>
>> running just fine.  One of the reasons I never liked dsave from
>> many years ago, its got a mind of its own, but thats all I've got
>> right now.
>
>Gene, your plan seems much too complicated. As long as you can boot
> into OS-9 from a floppy and have the driver/descriptor for the hard
> drive also on the floppy you don't need to mess around with
> creating boot disks.

Thats one of the things I tried last night Robert.  Unforch I didn't
merge it (too dumb I guess) and I rebooted several times trying to
load superscsi, each time causeing a complete, lock the system crash.

>Merge the hard drive driver/descriptor into a single file. Load the
>file, iniz /h0, and you should be able to read/write to the hard
> drive. Once that works, just use dEd or attr as needed to correct
> the problem file on the hard drive.

Its doing the recopy right now, with the os9boot being the first thing
I put on, its now in one piece, so all I need to do is fix LSN0 I
think.  Then reboot.  This time I'm a wee bit schmardter, I made two
backups of the nos96309v030200_1.dsk to 5 inchers. :-)

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III at 500mhz 320M