[CoCo] 720kb vs 1.4mb 3.5" disks

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Dec 10 14:22:01 EST 2003

On Wednesday 10 December 2003 17:36, Ray Watts wrote:
>Many years ago Marty Goodman wrote an article comparing the magnetic
>field intensity required to write to the different disks available
> to a CoCo user.  He recommended against using 3.5" HD (1.4mb) disks
> on the CoCo in place of the 720k DD ones.  His reasoning (if I
> recall it correctly) was that the HD disks were written to at a
> higher intensity, and therefore, if written to at the lower 720k
> intensity, would not reliably retain the data.

This is correct, using an HD diskette, written at the write currents
that are correct for a DD diskette, will not saturate the coating
magneticly, and you get a weak recording that may even have some
remnants of the old data around the edges of the track from the
incomplete erasure.  It will work for a while in the same drive, but
probably will be pretty error laden when reading it in a different
drive.  The weak fields also fade at a rate that can render them
unreadable 2 weeks or less later.

I've been bit enough times by that, not realizing that when a 1.2 meg
5.25" mitsumi has been slowed down to make a 720ker out of it, it
still needs diskettes rated as QD in order to make a reliable
recording.  Normal HD or DD 5.25" disks will be rather severely
over-written in that drive, causing a partial erasure from the
overdrive, and the effect to the user is the same, not very
dependable storage. ITSR the last time I forgot and put a Dd rated
disk in that drive, the verify phase marked over half of it out of
the allocation table as unusable.

I have several 3.5" drives here too, and find I must use only DD
diskettes in them on the coco else the verify phase suffers wholesale
failures for taped up HD's, or even fails outright during the format
for some drives, which demand a 500 kilobaud data rate if they find
an HD hole in the diskette.  Those drives will work on the coco just
fine with a DD diskette in them, but put an HD in and format fails on
the first track.

>I have been using 3.5" 720k disks on my CoCo's for over 12 years,
> with bootable disks for over 11 years.  Occasionally, such as the
> old AOL givaways, I have possessed 1.4 mb disks.  Remembering
> Marty's article, I never used these disks for anything serious,
> just reformatted them to 720k for use as "scratch" disks.  About
> six years ago I began downloading RTSI files onto HD disks.
> Neither the scratch disks nor the RTSI disks have ever lost a file
> and I am beginning to feel that Marty's warnings were overblown.
> My rationale for this is that the HD disks probably have a superior
> oxide coating and will accept the lower magnetizing intensity at
> the slower rotational speed much better than anticipated.

One could blame your good luck on AOL buying the cheapest disk they
could find.  After all, they knew 99.9% of them would just get
formatted anyway. :-)

>Have any posters experienced problems using 1.4mb disks on a CoCo
>formatted to 720k?  If so, was there any evidence of the problem
> being due to the magnetizing force?

Lots of it, Ray

--
Cheers, Gene