[CoCo] 720kb vs 1.4mb 3.5" disks

Ray Watts rayanddoraleew at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 10 13:38:01 EST 2003

Many years ago Marty Goodman wrote an article comparing the magnetic
field intensity required to write to the different disks available to a
CoCo user.  He recommended against using 3.5" HD (1.4mb) disks on the
CoCo in place of the 720k DD ones.  His reasoning (if I recall it
correctly) was that the HD disks were written to at a higher intensity,
and therefore, if written to at the lower 720k intensity, would not
reliably retain the data.

I have been using 3.5" 720k disks on my CoCo's for over 12 years, with
bootable disks for over 11 years.  Occasionally, such as the old AOL
givaways, I have possessed 1.4 mb disks.  Remembering Marty's article, I
never used these disks for anything serious, just reformatted them to
720k for use as "scratch" disks.  About six years ago I began
downloading RTSI files onto HD disks.  Neither the scratch disks nor the
RTSI disks have ever lost a file and I am beginning to feel that Marty's
warnings were overblown.  My rationale for this is that the HD disks
probably have a superior oxide coating and will accept the lower
magnetizing intensity at the slower rotational speed much better than
anticipated.

Have any posters experienced problems using 1.4mb disks on a CoCo
formatted to 720k?  If so, was there any evidence of the problem being
due to the magnetizing force?

Griz