[Coco] NitrOS-9 V03.02.00 Released

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Dec 9 21:08:09 EST 2003

On Tuesday 09 December 2003 18:09, David wrote:

>> >I'm going to email you the zip file.
>> >
>> >Boisy
>>
>> That won't do me any good Boisy, I have no workable method to get
>> it to the coco other than you sending it up on a 5.25 DSDD or a
>> 3.5 DD, formatted in regular os9 format.  Sorry.
>
>Gene, do you have fdutils for Linux?  That, coupled with Boisy's
>os9tools will allow you to copy files to a disk you have mounted.
>
>It seems that you don't even have to dd a .dsk image.  You can
> simply "os9 copy" a file straight onto that disk.

That doesn't float either.  Error 214 in trying to write to a disk
that was just os9format'ed.

--------------------
[root at coyote nos96309]# /root/bin/os9copy -help
Syntax: os9copy {[<opts>]} <srcfile> {[<...>]} <target> {[<opts>]}
Usage:  copy files
     -b=size    size of copy buffer in bytes or K-bytes
[root at coyote nos96309]# /root/bin/os9copy
./nos96309l2v030200_ds40_1.dsk /dev/fd0
/root/bin/os9copy: error 214 creating
'/dev/fd0/nos96309l2v030200_ds40_1.dsk'
-----------------
So I rewrote them with dd again:
----------------
[root at coyote nos96309]# dd if=nos96309l2v030200_ds40_1.dsk of=/dev/fd0
663+0 records in
663+0 records out
[root at coyote nos96309]# /root/bin/os9format /dev/fd0
[root at coyote nos96309]# dd if=nos96309l2v030200_ds40_2.dsk of=/dev/fd0
313+1 records in
313+1 records out
-------------
and then ran os9dcheck against the second disk. It munched along for
10 seconds or so and segfaulted:
-------------------------
[root at coyote nos96309]# /root/bin/os9dcheck /dev/fd0
Volume - 'NitrOS-9/6309 Level 2 Disk 2' in file: (null)
$00B4 bytes in allocation map
1 sector per cluster
$0005A0 total sectors on media
Sector $000002 is start of root directory file descriptor
Segmentation fault
---------------------------------
>However, with the os9tools, you can create, format, dsave|copy to a
> .dsk image and then dd that image onto the floppy just to be safe.
> As a matter of fact, you can even os9gen an os9 boot disk on your
> linux machine.

That may be another path I might wander down.  The disks I just made
with fdtools and dd are bad, in an odd sort of way.  I can't do a dir
on them, error 214.  Then I tried ded /d1@ and found that the root
dir's file descriptor was supposed to start in sector 2 according to
DD.DIR!  Sector 1 being the bit allocation map, and sector 2 was
blank, all zero's, as was every sector up to 6, at which time I ran
into the bootfile itself I think.  Humm, no, it started with the
usual executable of $87CD, so that wasn't the bootfile.

DD.BOOT said the boot was at $0C, and was a bit less than 32k long.
However, neither disk will allow me to seek past sector 8 on the disk
without eventually returning an error 247, seek error. So the disk
format is pretty well fubared IMO.  I was going to build an FD for
the root dir using ded, but with the first data showing up at $06,
and the DD.SAS being 8, there isn't enough room to do it right
anyway.

I think I'll verify that the .dsk inmage is ok with khexedit next.

Nope, I don't see anything wrong with the .dsk images, so its my
chipset that won't do this I guess.  We went down this multiflora
rose guarded path once before, got bloodied and came to this same
conclusion.

-------------and hour later after trying it again----------

And the second pass, this time using os9format as you suggested to
init the disks, apparently also failed for the exact same reasons.
And it looks like os9copy is file oriented, not raw disk oriented
like dd is.

One thing I haven't tried is to set dd's block size to 256 bytes, let
me try that once.  Nope, same result for dcheck, a segfault.  Exact
same output so I won't bother to paste it in here.

It looks like I need someone with a valid, real hardware fdc in their
chipset to make me some disks.  This one is terminally fubared.  I
already sent Boisy a request as I think he probably still has my card
number from the last time.  Damn this is discouraging...

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III at 500mhz 320M