[Coco] Another drive question

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Tue Dec 9 00:00:00 EST 2003

Theodore Evans (Alex) wrote:

> On Dec 8, 2003, at 6:02 PM, John E. Malmberg wrote:
>
>> I do not have any personal experience to say one way or another.  It
>> seems to me that a 50 Mhz machine should have enough horsepower to
>> emulate a 1.68 Mhz machine.
>
> When you think about this take into consideration that this 1.78 MHz CPU
> has a performance level between that of a 8 MHz 8086 and a 12 MHz
> 80286.

Actually the 68xx series does the same amount of work in one clock as
the Z80 did in 4 clock pulses.  The 8088 used an 8 bit bus

The 286 is pretty fast as long as you stayed with in it's total address
space of 256K simulateous access.

> Add to that that you are not merely emulating the CPU, but the
> rest of the system.  Remember that clock speed is a very very poor
> indicator of processing power.  In any case a 50 MHz 80486 is probably
> marginal for Emulating a CoCo on a PC unless your emulator is using JIT
> methods.

As the 50Mhz machine is free, it will probaly cost me little to try it.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only