[Coco] Another drive question

Theodore Evans (Alex) alxevans at concentric.net
Mon Dec 8 23:18:00 EST 2003

On Dec 8, 2003, at 6:02 PM, John E. Malmberg wrote:

> I do not have any personal experience to say one way or another.  It
> seems to me that a 50 Mhz machine should have enough horsepower to
> emulate a 1.68 Mhz machine.

When you think about this take into consideration that this 1.78 MHz
CPU has a performance level between that of a 8 MHz 8086 and a 12 MHz
80286.  Add to that that you are not merely emulating the CPU, but the
rest of the system.  Remember that clock speed is a very very poor
indicator of processing power.  In any case a 50 MHz 80486 is probably
marginal for Emulating a CoCo on a PC unless your emulator is using JIT
methods.