[Coco] Another drive question

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Mon Dec 8 23:04:00 EST 2003

KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 12/7/03 6:02:26 PM Eastern Standard Time, wb8tyw at qsl.net
> writes:

>>There is a native version of MESS for LINUX.  The Micrsoft Windows
>> version is a port of the LINUX version using the Cygwin LINUX support
>> utilities and libraries.
>
> Someone reported that Linux MESS is very slow.  But from what you say, the
> Windows should be even slower!  Maybe it's just that Windows typically is run on
> newer, faster PCs, so folks don't notice.

I do not have any personal experience to say one way or another.  It
seems to me that a 50 Mhz machine should have enough horsepower to
emulate a 1.68 Mhz machine.

The problem might be in the X-11 interface, and it might depend on what
graphics options are present.

According to the folks that I know that program the graphics cards, one
vendor will not supply any information, just Microsoft drivers, while
another will supply enough information to make the card functional, but
will only supply the graphics accellerator code in the form of a
Microsoft driver.

And by the time that someone reverse engineers the driver, that chipset
is end of life, and the old tricks will not work with the new chipset.

> Say, do you think that Cygwin package could get Linux UltiMusE running on
> Windoze?  I recall some excitement over Cygwin a while back, but it turns out to
> be  a bear to use, so someone said.

I have no idea of how easy or hard it will be.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only