[Coco] (no subject)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Dec 7 14:18:00 EST 2003

On Sunday 07 December 2003 12:34, David Hazelton wrote:
>peak at mail.polarcomm.com wrote:
>> Why not just build a bi-directional parallel port into your
>> COCO?
>
>What for?,  I was always curious what use the Bi-directional
> parallel port would honestly be used for.  The MM/1B has one, but
> no one that I know has actually used it for more than a simple
> printer port, let alone a Coco.
>
>I guess, if KAQ9 can do SLIP, with the Bi-directional parallel port,
> it could be made to do PLIP and maybe do a higher connection rate
> to a Windows based direct connect. (I guess Linux too).  I know I
> used to connect my MM/1B to my Windows machine using Slip, So Plip
> should work. And should work on the CoCo too if it had a real
> Bi-directional parallel port and Bi-directional drivers.

Working from mental history here, something Mark M. has designed in
recent history may also qualify, but the only par port for the coco
that was bi-drectional was AFAIK the one on the J&M-CP controllers.
Unforch, its not latched in either direction so to use it fully will
require some sort of a latching buffer on it to synchronize the data
transfers.  That should be built fairly close in as cable ringing
would probably fubar things.  One of the reasons I never got around
to doing it but should have.  The disto port did work, with the same
printers so the choice was pretty clear-cut to me, being basicly
lazy. :(

I could occasionally use it to drive a printer, but as later parport
printers got more and better filtering courtesy the fcc edicts, the
parports on the printers got too slow to properly register the data
from the coco running a 1.79mhz as it was only valid during the E
clock generated strobe pulse on the port.  Old, slower coco1's could
get thru, but not the faster coco3's.

Any disto parport is write only AFAIK.

>And do Zip drives use SCSI commands or ATAPI when connected thru the
>Bi-directional parallel port of a PC.  Which as far as I know we do
> not have ATAPI support on the Coco and the MM/1B.  (But I could be
> wrong.)

Zip drives, even the parport models, do use scsi command packets
AFAIK.  Their addressing is limited though, to only 4-6 on the real
scsi buss.  Later ones were apparently hard coded to 6.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III at 500mhz 320M