[Coco] (no subject)

David Hazelton davehazelton at access-4-free.com
Sun Dec 7 12:36:00 EST 2003

peak at mail.polarcomm.com wrote:
> Why not just build a bi-directional parallel port into your
> COCO?

What for?,  I was always curious what use the Bi-directional parallel
port would honestly be used for.  The MM/1B has one, but no one that I
know has actually used it for more than a simple printer port, let alone
a Coco.

I guess, if KAQ9 can do SLIP, with the Bi-directional parallel port, it
could be made to do PLIP and maybe do a higher connection rate to a
Windows based direct connect. (I guess Linux too).  I know I used to
connect my MM/1B to my Windows machine using Slip, So Plip should work.
And should work on the CoCo too if it had a real Bi-directional parallel
port and Bi-directional drivers.

And do Zip drives use SCSI commands or ATAPI when connected thru the
Bi-directional parallel port of a PC.  Which as far as I know we do not
have ATAPI support on the Coco and the MM/1B.  (But I could be wrong.)

~David Hazelton