[Coco] Re: 8" drive to 5.25" replacement?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Dec 6 12:44:00 EST 2003

On Saturday 06 December 2003 09:21, Richard E. Crislip wrote:
>Hello Gene
>
>Hehe.. But it sure does work good on my A4000 still today. 8-) I
> just wish I could figure out way my Amithlon setup refuses to
> connect to the internet. It sees my router just fine via telnat,
> but I have not been able to go any further. No problems with the
> real Amiga or my two PCs (Winblows or Linux) doing it though
> <sigh>. I need to get my business off that poor old 13 year old
> hardware.

Yeah, but it works so nice.  As to the router, it probably hasn't been
told to NAT the amigas address.  Not knowing what router, I can't
advise.  And I don't do that much multiple address NATing in mine
either as I'm using iptables on the older linux box for that.  My
path to the router from here is via a nic using a 192.168.xx.xx
address, then through iptables to the second nic in the old machine,
with iptables doing the NATing between the 192.168.xx.xx address of
nic #2 to nic#1 at 192.168.yy.yy.  Then the router NATs the
192.168.yy.yy address to whatever the PPPoE in the router obtains via
DHCP for my real DSL address.  Absolutely transparent from this end,
absolutely opaque from the other end.

Needless to say, with that much state controlled NATing going on, even
the older machine with all its active firewall rules, has only logged
one attack attempt, and that one came in thru a previous router, a
Seimans, that the hacker destroyed 2 weeks after I installed it,  But
the linksys I replaced it with has never even let a SYN packet thru.

Funny thing though, the attack actually came from a verizon DNS server
according to the logs I captured.  I'd bet they were running an old
version of bind, and got rootkitted.

As far as I know, I'm invisible to the outside world.  Run the linux
'nmap' scanner against my current 151.205.10.15 real address and see
if you can find me.  I'll try to plug any holes you can find.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III at 500mhz 320M